The 2017 Mettler Zinfandel entices with its deep, inky purple color. The initial earthy and smoky aromas are followed by those of blackberry, vanilla and plum. The complex medley of flavors include ripe berries, licorice and herbs with a hint of black pepper. The sturdy but softly integrated tannins yield to subtle oak notes as the wine lingers on the palate. A light touch of acidity creates balance and elegance while retaining the juicy, exuberant personality that is uniquely Zinfandel. A variety of cuisines, from hearty stews to grilled favorites, will stand up nicely to this rich and flavorful wine.
The Mettler family heritage honors over 100 years and six generations of farming in Lodi with the release of this ‘Epicenter’ old vine Zinfandel. The size of the crop, the time spent on the vine, and the many months aged in French oak barrels all reflect the care our family took to fully express the potential of our estate vineyards.
Grapes for this wine were harvested in September 2017, from one of the oldest Zinfandel vineyards on our ranch where the deep-rooted vines thrive in rich, sandy loam soils. This 50-year old vineyard is located in the Mokelumne River sub-appellation, the ‘epicenter’ of Lodi’s old vine Zinfandel district. Our vineyards are certified through the Lodi Rules for sustainable winegrowing.
- 92 Points "Big, graceful and overflowing with tasty ripe berry and cherry flavors." - Wine Enthusiast (April 2020)
- 92 Points "Smooth, ripe and intense, balanced and long." - Anthony Dias Blue (March 2020)
- 91 Points "Well done!" - Rich Cook, Wine Review Online (January 2020)
- Double Gold - 2020 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
- Gold Medal - 2020 Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo