2016 Petite Sirah
The Mettler 2016 Petite Sirah exudes elegance and grace. True to its varietal heritage, the color is opaque and deep purple. Soft aromas of dark berries, plum and oak are sultry and inviting. As it unfolds on the palate, it delivers a beautiful swirl of concentrated berry flavors with notes of dark honey, plum, violet and baking spices. Well-integrated tannins create a bold backdrop for the beautifully lush texture, and carry the flavors through the lingering finish.
The Mettler family heritage honors over 100 years and five generations of farming in Lodi with the release of our exceptional Petite Sirah. The size of the crop, the time spent on the vine, and the many months aged in French oak barrels all reflect the care our family took to fully express the potential of this very small and unique portion of our vineyards. The Lodi micro-climate is a true Mediterranean climate—excellent for growing Petite Sirah. The high daytime temperatures are tempered by Delta breezes which flow through the area in the evenings and cool down the fruit dramatically.
The vineyards for the Mettler Petite Sirah are organically and sustainably grown. The crop level was controlled using various viticulture techniques and was farmed with the latest biologically integrated farming system practices. This includes a reduction of synthetic chemicals and fertilizers in the vineyard; controlled deficient irrigation; and cover crops, which increase the rate of organic matter turnover, thus maintaining the structure and fertility of the soil.
- 94 Points - Cellar Selection and #33 of the Top 100 Wines of 2019! - Wine Enthusiast Magazine
- 96 Points, Best of Class & Gold Medal - 2019 Int'l Women's Wine Competition
- 96 Points, Best of Class & Gold Medal - 2019 California State Fair
- 92 Points & Gold Medal - 2019 Orange County Fair
- 92 Points & Gold Medal - 2019 Critics' Challenge
- Gold Medal - 2019 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition